Today is day two of the rainiest week to be here in New England. I thought the sun was going to be out in three more days but as it turns out it may be another five. There is no reason it has to be a mopey day at home, here are some ideas for some rainy day fun that we do in our home.
Rainy Day Activities
- Put together a puzzle
- Make cookies from scratch. Din is great at rolling them into balls – certainly makes cookie making less time consuming. Mmmm cookies & milk for snack time!
- Be pirates, the couch is a boat; throw pillows on the floor and hop from one to the other to find buried treasure.
- Hide coins or other objects around a room and play hot/cold/warm until they are found. Take turns – my son loves hiding the objects as much as finding them!
- Bring out the finger paints and let your child have at it.
- Finger paints too messy for you? Get out the watercolors, markers, crayons, and some paper.
- Put on your raincoat & boots and stomp in some puddles.
- Warm up your child with a bubble bath thereafter.
- Play a board game
- Cuddle up and read a book together.
- Scissors! My son loves drawing shapes, cutting them out and pasting them on paper.
- Let your child help cut out coupons or pictures from an old magazine
- Put on some music and dance!
- Make a band – bang some spoons together, bang on pans, sing loudly – let it out and have fun!
- Have a tea party with all your child’s stuffed animal friends – serve water/juice and little snacks.
- Have your child help you around the house. My son loves to help me dust, use soap & water to wash down cabinets or larger appliances; sweep the floor or help empty the dishwasher by sorting the silverware.
- Shaving cream paints for the tub. (See the post before this)
I know there are lots more so please share your ideas with me!